THE FAIRER ISLE



Much like a puppy, a Fair Isle jumper is not just for Xmas........   I'd go as far as to say it should be your go-to knit this year.  If you're still of the mindset that Fairisle is to jumpers what winceyette is to pyjamas, then you're missing a trick.

In this post I've given you two for the price of one - The Fair Isle versus the Argyle.  The Fair Isle is a knitting technique whereby patterns are created using a selection of colours.  They are often referred to as 'Christmas' jumpers but ignore that (and steer well clear of Santa or reindeer emblazoned numbers) as there's so much more to them than that (as you'll see below).  The Argyle is recognised by it's distinctive diamond detailing but definitely not just for the golfing fraternity!! 

I'm big into the sweater over a dress or the sweater/maxi skirt combo at the moment.  Can't get enough of it.  Gone are the days when sweaters meant preppy.  Wear them big and slouchy with a too long sleeve or try tight fitting, ensuring a strong silhouette up top.  Pair with a blazer slung over the shoulders and this year's up to the knee slouch boot, or last seasons' cowboy.  Corduroy is all over the place at the moment - a perfect accompaniment to both these knits.  And don't get me started on the benefits of an argyle tank top - with this season's obsession with layering, twin with a blousy frilled shirt underneath.

(photos: Isabel Marant, Joseph, Pinterest)

Now on to the fun bit - here's what I found and what I'm loving right now.  Some are cheaper than others (as always).  Snap up your favourite before the cold weather starts to bite!!  Click on links to buy.......


FAIR ISLE



New brand alert - first thing I've seen from these guys.  Their blue Iggy cable knit is awesome!!
Abstract Fairisle Jumper







ARGYLE


So good, I used it twice.  
Let me at those puff sleeves.  This one's in the bag!!!!
Multicoloured Diamond Pattern Sweater
Zara £29.99

Zara rockin' the diamond again.......
Diamond Pattern Sweater
Zara £29.99


A great place to get your Argyle is to go vintage.  Beyond Retro and Rokit are worth a look.
Vintage 80s Argyle Print Jumper
ASOS Marketplace £19.60 (was £28)


I have this one (see my Instagram post).  Feels much more expensive than it is and a great fit!!
Diamond Pattern Sweater



I finish with my stand out piece of this post - wearing your heart on your sleeve (or in this case, Loewe on your collar).  I think this was from their collection last Autumn/Winter...... still way above my budget even at this knock down price sadly .....


Comments

Popular Posts