VELVET UNDERGROUND



Now, the Christmas party invite drops through the letterbox - what do we usually think of when it comes to outfits?  Quite possibly it's the little party dress or in many cases this season it'll be the jumpsuit.  Nothing wrong with that at all and I'd be right there with you if it wasn't for the velvet suit.  

Top Shop brought out a winner last year in both blue and pink (sadly I missed out on both).  Other brands got wise and you will find that most of them have at least one or two versions of the velvet co-ord this year.  The problem I had doing this blog was what to pair these with as this Christmas season comes with a wealth of options.

The velvet suit is very versatile - can be toughened up, paired down, layered up (this season's favoured trend) worn for a full on party night or a more subtle festive drinks occasion so here's my take on velvet suiting, a number of ways!!  


ALL OVER PRINT

Picture courtesy of Pinterest

SHOP MY VERSION

I just adore the Chloe horse print velvet twinset above.  Paired here with a sexy snakeskin shirt and cowboy boots.  Prints will be sure to make a statement so I'd co-ordinate the other items making up the outfit as I have here - teaming a star print suit with a host of metallics.  I've seen quite a few other prints this season.  Check out Boden and Other Stories for more.  


Clockwise from left


SHE WORE BLUE VELVET (thanks Bobby Vinton!!)

Picture courtesy of Pinterest

SHOP MY VERSION

Blue and mock croc is a great pairing.  I love the skinny cropped option with single breasted blazer above.  This would work well on a shorter frame with sky high heels.  The suit I've chosen below isn't so cropped in the leg so I've gone with some high ankle boots rather than shoes. 

Clockwise from left

EMERALD TONES

 Pictures courtesy of Pinterest

SHOP MY VERSIONS

Now you can't get better than a velvet suit in one of this season's beautiful emerald colours.  I've gone for two looks here - A skinny or a cropped flare is the best way to show off a pair of kick ass heels.  And who could resist the combination of green and yellow inspired by Emilio Pucci. 

Clockwise from left


Clockwise from left


PYJAMA STYLE


SHOP MY VERSION

I love the pyjama styling and what a relaxed way to enjoy a Christmas 'do' - not to mention the fact it's a very comfortable and forgiving outfit for the prerequisite food and beverage overindulging.  It is a harder style to wear if you're shorter so for me I'd probably wear with a higher heel (as above) or even an awesome thick soled trainer depending on where the event was taking place.

Clockwise from top left


NAIL THE RUSTY LOOK

Picture courtesy of Pinterest

SHOP MY VERSION

Couldn't resist pairing my take on the rust velvet suit with a forest green shiny blouse all in the name of Christmas.  The trousers below do come in a straight flowy non-paperbag version but I thought these brought a little less structure to the proceedings.  Paired with a 70s style knee high boot and a necklace from a new Ethical jewellery brand I've discovered called Made who have some gorgeous pieces on their website and are an.

Clockwise from left

Comments

Popular Posts