THE MIGHTY MULE




Pictures courtesy of Pinterest


When is a mule not a mule?????


Tell me someone please, what is the difference between a mule or a loafer?  I'm not entirely sure.  Both can be backless, slip on, with or without embellishment and closed toe.  Google won't (or can't tell me the answer) and neither it seems can the fashion community.

Are mules a little less structured and 'stiff' than the loafer??  I've seen the Gucci Marmont loafer referred to as a mule in various online circles so I'm as baffled as the next person.  Loafers I would typically identify with having some metal adornment on them but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, what I say goes with regards to this blog (funny that, especially as I'm the sole person writing) so I'm going with the mule without any gold or silver additions to the front. I'm also thinking purely with summer in mind.   I think backless shoes are best worn with a hint of ankle showing, so perfect with some ankle grazing cropped jeans, denim turn ups, smart tailored 3/4 length trousers or a midi maxi or a pencil skirt.  Would go perfectly with this season's boiler suit if you keep the bare ankle.  

Make sure that if buying them from a shop, you walk around for a while in these.  Or take them home and try on the carpet.  They can be famously uncomfortable as anything slip-on can easily go the other way and slip off so a snugger fit is preferable unless you want them as slippers.  You also need to consider how well made they are so they don't lose their shape - once the shape is lost, there's no going back.  If I haven't put you off, then take a look at what I found .......

My favourites are some leopard ones from Zara (see my Insta post).  Sold out by the time I discovered them (always late to the party, me) but my preloved radar kicked in and found a brand new pair on Depop (my now favourite goto second hand site) for less than they were being sold in the Zara sale. 

Here we go ........

SUSTAINABLE/ETHICAL

Try not to be put off with the higher cost of ethical.  The whole point is that the items will be beautifully made and therefore will last longer thus getting rid of the need to buy more, more often.

These are absolute classics.  A forever shoe




ANIMAL PRINT

Cow print is definitely having it's moment.  Maybe not yet taking over the leopard and tiger prints but watch out, it's coming your way.

My absolute favourites.  Bit pricey but I can hear my wardrobe calling out for these ones
How nice would these be with cropped tailored black trousers!!

Zara are also doing their own version






BOWS AND RUFFLES






WOVEN
These come in white and black too
Tilly Woven Pointed Slip On





EMBROIDERED/EMBELLISHED

Oh my word - wanted these in the black and red last year and was hoping they went in the sale.  They've now bought out another colourway which is just as gorgeous

Also come with a pink lobster, found at House of Fraser in the SALE!!!


Pricey I know but couldn't resist adding these

METALLICS




BABOUCHE

I'm throwing in a curve ball with the Babouche style mule.  While not entirely backless, you traditionally tread down on these Moroccan inspired shoes so you can wear them as a shoe or a slip on.  




and just because pink appears to be having a moment, here's some Jimmy Choos to swoon over ........

Comments

Popular Posts