THE AUTUMN EDIT - SUSTAINABLE Vs VINTAGE








I haven't posted a new article for a while now.  I've been deciding where my blogging hat will hang and how I should focus my material.  When I first started with my blog posts it was very much trend and fast fashion driven and yes, those articles are guaranteed click bait and gathered the most speed in terms of 'reads' as opposed to my sustainable posts.  I was chatting with a friend just the other day and we agreed that, as a new and admittedly fairly sporadic blogger, I have made my job harder by not focusing on the fast fashion route - Yes, I could stay on the fast fashion bandwagon for likes and readership, but I wouldn't stay true to what I believed in in the long run.  

I have always been a vintage lover with pre loved designer gear focusing heavily in my wardrobe.  To be totally honest fast fashion also featured.  I still wear what fast fashion I have because to get rid of past buys 'willy nilly' would be tantamount to 'throwing the baby out with the bath water'.   I have become concerned with fast fashion/big brand statistics which led me to my recent change to 'not buying fast' or if I was buying new then it would have to be considered purchases from smaller brands/designers who excited me and also had sustainability at their heart.

The biggest bug bear I hear when talking sustainable fashion is inevitably the price.  Yes the big brands are focusing on their version of sustainability at a much lower price point,  but in a lot of cases they are not lessening their overall output which I feel cancels out a lot of good work they may be doing.  I want to try and debunk the expensive myth wherever possible and try and highlight a cross section of different ways to shop other than fast, that's attainable for all.  

With vintage and pre loved shopping being my number one fashion choice and my initial go to if I'm looking for a piece or entering into a trend, I wanted to bring this to the fore of my blog posts.  It can still be trend led but I want to showcase both pre loved and sustainable choices showing that it is available for the majority of budgets and whilst doing so, bring to your attention brands that you may well not have heard of but who hold their head up high in terms of sustainable style and deserve a bigger platform. 

Vintage is my first love and I've become pretty adept at sourcing pieces I have yearned for (quite often they would have hit the shops many seasons before).  I am yet to forward on any of my vintage pieces which shows that by holding out for what you love or buying an adored piece proves worthwhile and a much longer term investment.  These clothes garner the most attention when I wear them and people are always asking where they can get the same.  These posts will be little tasters to help you build your own favourites. 

Anyway, enough of the talk, let's get down to business.  

As we're now waving off the past Summer sun, for this post I have taken the Autumn trends that we're hearing so much about.  But I've also picked three items that could easily be put together to make a perfect outfit or mixed and matched with other items you may already have in your wardrobe, thus making an Autumnal capsule.  In each case I will also give vintage and sustainably made options.  (All items are linked underneath each picture).

FAIRISLE


My favourite type of knitwear whatever the weather.  These distinctive knits make a return as an 'Autumn Trend' each year without fail.  If there's one sustainable item that will be pricier than your average buy, then it's going to be knitwear (be prepared, some of those I've listed are pretty pricey).  Quite often they will take longer to make and will be composed of harder to source organic and more expensive yarns.  These will stand the test of time rather than your £12.99 high street version, so it's one to weigh up.

Sustainable/Ethical Brands

Brora have been buying their fibres from the same suppliers for years.  Their cashmere is ethically sourced from the native goat of the Mongolian plateaux, thus their products are at the higher end of the price scale. 
100% Cashmere Fairisle Jumper £395
Hand knitted in 100% wool by KTS based in Nepal and also features eco-friendly wood buttons


This brand is a slow knitwear brand with their pieces and material sourced and made in UK and Ireland.  They use natural yarns and pride themselves on creating items that will last whilst championing small batch making.

Pre Loved / Vintage






CHECKS

Autumn isn't Autumn without a check.  I've concentrated on blazers/coats as these can be worn so many ways.  A handy piece if you want to dip your toe in and not go full on checks (I favour a coordinating check with a peg trouser, underneath an oversized blazer).  However your boat is floated, this is a good one to start with.

Sustainable / Ethical Brands

If I was going to choose one high street / mid price brand as my favourite for sustainability, it would have to be Arket.  I think their ethos is more on quality than quantity and I believe they are producing fashion for the greater good rather than jumping on the band wagon like so many others.  Some of the pieces listed below are a little more pricey but you can't expect to get true sustainability and quality yarns for a song and I feel their pieces are built to last and love forever.



62% recycled wool / 38% recycled nylon

Doesn't have to be classic browns and greys.  
Why not try this wine blazer in a blend of recycled polyester and wool



Pre-Loved / Vintage
XS Good Condition

Small, Very Good Condition




CORDUROY TROUSERS

Sustainable /Ethical Brands

The first pair featured are designed by Gillian June who I just wanted to say a few words about.  Ex London College of Fashion student and Savile Row trained, Imogen Johnson Gilbert is a truly sustainable designer.  Patterns are hand cut and leftovers used for upcycled products.  95% of their fabric is used by producing a small zero waste collection (including accessories and baby clothes) from leftovers.  Products are handmade either in London or Bangalore in small runs by tailors all paid the living wage.  Only natural and biodegradable fabrics are used, along with recycled materials.  I found Gillian June through Mamoq.  Sadly her website states that they've 'closed its doors after 3 happy years'.  Let's hope she's still producing beautiful clothes.  I will endeavour to find out.  These corduroy trousers are in their final sale at £10 from £115!!!!!!!!


You don't have to go all tonal in Autumn.  How beautiful would these copper blush cords look with a checked blazer






Pre-Loved / Vintage


Comments

Popular Posts